Shopping on Yuppiechef is safe and secure
View on mobile
Scan the QR code to open this page on your mobile phone.
- Item Condition: New
- 30 Day Exchanges
- Returns & Repairs Policy
- How long will it take to arrive?
- Can I send it as a gift?
Notify me when this item is available
Half human, half nature, the Green Man is an ancient mythical figure representing the spirit of the forest, the continuous regeneration of life and the interdependence of all things. In his modern guise, The Green Man has appeared under a new name — ecology. It is this spirit, as well as the delicate green hue of Silverthorn’s Chardonnay Cap Classique, that inspired winemaker John Loubser to break with traditional name ‘Blanc de Blancs’ and personify the wine with the name The Green Man.
The Green Man was hand-harvested in end-January 2018 in the early hours of the morning at 19 degrees balling. The grapes were whole bunch pressed with a very low recovery rate of only 600 litres per ton — this ensures that no bitter tannins are extracted. Fermentation took place in a stainless steel tank at 15 degrees Celsius and a small portion was barrel-fermented to enhance complexity. Secondary fermentation occurred in the bottle and the wine spent a minimum time of 24 months on the lees after which it was manually riddled and disgorged. Total production – 15 796 bottles (750ml) and 490 magnums.
- Sparkling wine made in the traditional Champagne method
- Minimum of 24 months aging
- 100% Chardonnay grapes
- Colour/appearance: Vibrant green/yellow hue — fine twirling bead of bubbles
- Nose: Fresh aromas of green apple and acacia blossom backed up by subtle hints of minerality and whiffs of freshly baked brioche
- Palate: Well balanced with an elegant structure, fine mousse which imparts a gentle explosion of bubbles on the palate and a long finish
- Suggested food pairings: Freshly shucked Namibian oysters, salmon tartar with a zesty lime salsa, Beluga caviar and blini
Silverthorn is a dedicated Cap Classique producer with outstanding Platter Guide and Tim Atkin Master of Wine ratings.
- ABV: 11.74%
- Volume: 750ml
- Vintage: 2018
Store cool & dark. Chill before serving.