Shopping on Yuppiechef is safe and secure
View on mobile
Scan the QR code to open this page on your mobile phone.
- Item Condition: New
- 30 Day Exchanges
- Returns & Repairs Policy
- How long will it take to arrive?
- What precautions are you taking for COVID-19?
- Can I send it as a gift?
Notify me when this item is available
These Smoke Shavings are inexpensive and fun to use to add a blast of flavour to your cooking. Simply toss a bag of your preferred flavour of shavings into a tin foil tray after soaking them and then pop that onto your braai-ready coals and let the smoke do its magic while you braai your fish, meat, chicken or veggie skewers as normal. Smoking your food will give it an extra depth of flavour and elevate the regular braai to a gourmet event.
- Wood shavings to add that extra delicious smoke to the fire
- Wild Olive is ideal for any poultry
- Has a lovely fruity flavour
Which wood should you use?
- Oak: Imparts a deep, smoky flavour — great for red meat and game; this is probably the best wood for the best steak
- Cherry: A subtle, mild, fruity flavour — excellent for poultry, fish, vegetables and fruit. This wood should be used when you want to compliment the flavour of your food and not overpower it
- Cedar: The traditional wood used for fish — also fantastic for fruit and seafood. Cedar imparts a sweet, spicy flavour
- Maple: Great for smoking fruits and cheeses
- Wild Olive: Ideal for smoking any poultry, has a lovely fruity flavour and adds sweetness
- Walnut: Delivers a heavy smoke and is excellent for strong-flavoured red meat and game
How it works:
- Soak the wood shavings in liquid (water or other beverages) for 10 – 20 minutes
- Create a tin foil tray and place shavings in the centre of the tray
- Place the tray directly onto coals in your charcoal braai, add food to the grid and close the lid
- If using a smoker, follow the instructions of your specific smoker
- If using a gas braai, you'll need a smoker box to use the shavings
- Weight: 100g