We’ve banded together to raise funds for and call attention to a restaurant industry that has been battling this past month. When approached by musician, turned butcher, turned chef (and now artist), Dylan Jones, and owner of Frankie Fenner Meat Merchants, Andy Fenner, to collaborate to help offer relief to the many industry players affected by COVID-19, we immediately jumped on board. Dylan, previously sous chef at The Commissary, put his artistic skills to work to sketch 7 iconic food establishments in Cape Town to be auctioned off on Friday, 24 April, on Yuppiechef's Instagram account at 9:00 AM.
All proceeds from the auction of these original pieces will enable the various venues to support their staff and suppliers, and help cover their rent. Since Frankie Fenner Meat Merchants is fortunate enough to be able to trade during the lockdown, Andy Fenner will be donating the proceeds from his piece to the Isabelo Charity, a project with the mission of feeding young, hungry minds, run by multi-award-winning chef Margot Janse.
- Each piece will be auctioned off individually on its own dedicated Instagram post. All 7 pieces will go live at the same time.
- All bids are reflected in ZAR. If there is an international winner the winning bid will be converted at the market exchange rate and invoiced in their international currency.
- The opening bid for each original artwork is R2,500.
- Any higher bids must be made in increments of R50 to be considered.
- Bids MUST be submitted via comments on the auction post(s) only. We will not accept bids via Direct Message or email. If bidders want to increase their bid at any point before the cut-off time, they cannot reply on their original bid, but have to place their increased bid in a new comment.
- Bidding starts at 9:00 AM on Friday, 24 April 2020, and closes at 6:00 PM (GMT+2) on Friday, 24 April 2020, and will roll over until the last bid stands for 5 minutes.
- Once Yuppiechef announces in the post comments that bids are closed, no further bids will be considered.
- The winning bid total excludes the shipping cost, which will be determined by the shipping destination and will be communicated to the winner before the artwork is shipped. Alternatively, there is the option for the winner to collect their piece(s) directly from the artist after the lockdown.
- Winners will be contacted before midnight on Friday, 24 April 2020 via Instagram Direct Message to let them know that they have won.
- Winners will be required to share their contact details with the artist, Dylan Jones, to liaise further on EFT payment and delivery details.
- After contact has been made with the winners by the artist, within 24 hours winners will have to provide proof of full payment. Failure of full payment will result in the piece going to next highest bidder.
- Yuppiechef takes no responsibility for the management of payments or the distribution of the art, and has only provided their Instagram account as the platform for the auction to take place, in support of raising funds for the featured venues.
- Bao Down
- Chefs Warehouse & Canteen Bree Street
- Clarke's Bar & Dining Room
- Frankie Fenner Meat Merchants
- Jason Bakery
- Publik Wine Bar
- The General Store
- Sketched using graphite pencil on 120 GSM paper.
- Sketches are 185mm x 185mm and are delivered framed in a Kiaat wood frame.
For more information, read Andy Fenner’s press release here.