Lemony butter biscuits
Makes 20 large biscuits | Preparation time: 10–15 minutes | Baking time: 12–15 minutes
What you'll need:
200g soft butter
100g castor sugar
2 tsp lemon zest
300g cake flour
A pinch of salt (only if using unsalted butter)
1–2 Tbsp cold water (if needed)
- Fine grater
- Rolling pin
- Cookie cutters
- Baking tray
- Stand mixer
- Cooling rack
- Baking paper or silicone mat
- Kitchen scale
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356ºF) and line a baking sheet with baking paper or use a silicone mat.
- Cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest together. Add a pinch of salt. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure all of the butter is incorporated.
- Sift in the flour and mix. Every now and then scrape down the bowl and paddle attachment to make sure everything is getting mixed together.
- If necessary, add 1 Tbsp of water at a time and then briefly knead the mixture by hand until it just comes together into a rough dough.
- Place the dough between two sheets of baking paper and roll it out. Place it on a baking tray and in the fridge to chill and rest for about 15 minutes.
- Flour your cookie cutters and then stamp out your shapes, leaving plenty of space between them. Reserve this extra dough by wrapping in clingfilm and storing in the freezer, or roll out and repeat the cooking cutting above.
- Bake for 12–15 minutes, or until lightly golden.
© Recipe copyright of Sarah Graham