Instant Pot Beef Brisket — Tender, juicy and full of flavour
- 2 kg beef brisket, fat cap trimmed
- 1 tsp Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (homemade or high-quality store bought)
- Combine all dry rub ingredients and whisk together.
- Rub the brisket all over with the dry rub. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours or for best results, refrigerate overnight.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add olive oil and heat. Sear brisket on all sides until golden brown. Remove brisket and set aside.
- Add onions, carrots, celery and beef stock to the inner pot. Lay brisket on top of veggies and pour over BBQ sauce.
- Secure lid and select the Pressure Cook button. Set the time for 90 minutes on High Pressure.
- Let pressure release naturally for 20 minutes, and then release the remaining pressure manually.
- Transfer the brisket to a rimmed cutting board and cover loosely with foil to keep warm and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Strain the veggies out of the sauce left behind. Discard the veggies and return the sauce to the inner pot.
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté and simmer the sauce for 15 to 20 minutes, until it is reduced by half. Skim any fat off the top as it simmers.
- Slice the brisket and serve with the sauce alongside coleslaw, salad and fresh dinner rolls.