Deliciously warm fruit crumble
Serves: 6 | Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 45 mins
For the crumble
140g flour (any gluten free flours can work too)
4 Tbsp brown sugar
½ cup (50g) oats
50g flaked almonds
For the fruit
1kg mixed fruit (apples, plums, cherries etc), cut into rough chunks
Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
3 Tbsp castor sugar
Cream or custard, to serve
To turn this into a banting friendly crumble, try using only berries, replacing the oats with coconut shavings, the sugar with xylitol and heaps more cream on top.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Mix the flour and butter together and rub together until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Stir in the brown sugar, oats and almond flakes.
4. Chop up the fruit and toss in an oven proof pie dish. Sprinkle with the castor sugar and the vanilla and mix together roughly with two big spoons. Top with the crumble topping and place in the oven.
5. Bake for 40–45 mins until the fruit is cooked through and the crumble on top, golden.
This delicious bowl of goodness tastes even better covered in spoonfuls of cream or drizzles of custard – it’s the best way to enjoy fruit in winter.