Vegetable, crispy chorizo and barley soup
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 chorizo sausage, casing removed, sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
4 bacon slices, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 knob ginger, peeled and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped
1 cup pearl barley
2l chicken stock
2 zucchinis, ends trimmed and finely chopped
1 cup broccoli florets
1 small bunch spinach, trimmed and finely shredded
Salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh chilli, chopped, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a heavy based pot over high heat. Add half the chorizo in and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2–3 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining sausage.
2. Add the remaining oil to the pot. Add the onion, bacon, ginger, garlic, carrot and celery and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the vegetables soften.
3. Add the pearl barley and chicken stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add the zucchini, broccoli and spinach. Heat through, remove from heat, place the lid on the pot and place the pot in the Wonderbag for 30 minutes.
5. Heat through to serve, if need be, and top with crispy chorizo pieces and fresh chopped chilli.
Et voilà, who knew a soup could be so simple? Serve this up as a starter or fill up your bowl for a hearty main.