Turmeric butter chicken on a homemade chickpea pizza base
Makes: 4 pizzas | Prep: 20 min | Cook: 30 min
For the butter chicken curry
1 onion, finely chopped
30 ml (2 tsp) olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
15 ml ginger, grated
2 curry leaves
2.5 ml (½ tsp) cardamom
10 ml (2 tsp) Garam masala
50 g chopped cashew nuts
150 g tomato paste
400 ml water
30 ml (2 tsp) honey
400 ml cream
4 chicken breasts, sliced
For the pizza base
2 cups chickpea flour
250 ml (1 cup) water
15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
Pinch of salt
For the topping
1 onion, peeled and sliced into rings
50 g flour
5 ml (1 tsp) turmeric
45 ml (3 tbsp) sunflower oil
100 ml tomato paste
2 cups grated mozzarella
Fresh coriander for garnish
Double thick yoghurt, for serving
To make the butter chicken curry
1. Sauté onions in oil until soft.
2. Add garlic, ginger and dry spices and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add cashews, tomato paste, water, honey and cream and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until sauce is thick and creamy.
4. Add the chicken to the sauce and poach for 5 minutes over a low heat until cooked through.
5. Set aside to cool.
To make the pizza base
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, water, olive oil and salt until well mixed.
4. Spread mixture out into rounds (depending on size of base desired).
5. Bake for 5–10 minutes or until crust is slightly crispy.
6. Remove from the oven, turn over and peel paper away from the base.
For the topping
1. Dust the onion rings in a little flour and coat in turmeric.
2. Heat the oil in a small pot and shallow fry the onions for 2-3 minutes until crispy.
3. Set aside.
4. Top the base with tomato paste, mozzarella and butter chicken curry mixture.
5. Bake for a further 7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
6. Garnish with fresh coriander, a dollop of yoghurt and crispy turmeric onions.
Pizzas will never go out of favour so learning the odd new recipe base is a wonderful way to shake things up. The crispy chickpea base turns this recipe into an almost Indian meal experience.
Sign up to our newsletters if you enjoy recipes reinvented.