Triple pig & fig braai broodjies
Makes: 4-5 broodjies | Prep: 30 minutes | Cook: 10 – 15 minutes
10 slices of white bread
1 cup melted butter
Whole grain mustard
1 small red onion, sliced thin
½ cup mayonnaise
A small handful of chopped chives
200 g streaky bacon, braaied
5 slices of smoked ham
5 slices of peppered ham
250 g mature cheddar, grated
250 g mozzarella, grated
4-5 preserved figs, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Braai or fry your bacon until it’s done to your liking.
2. Mix your mayo, chives and sriracha together in a bowl. How much sriracha you add is up to how brave you’re feeling.
3. Mix your two cheeses together in a bowl.
4. Use a brush to paint both sides of your bread slices with butter.
5. Spread all your slices out onto a large chopping board or straight onto the kitchen counter.
6. On one side of the broodjie, spread whole grain mustard, and on the other side spread the sriracha mayo.
7. On the mustard side add some red onion followed by a good amount of cheese.
8. On the Sriracha side add a good amount of cheese.
9. On the mustard side, place a slice of peppered ham and top it with a little cheese. Then add the smoked ham and top it with a few slivers of fig.
10. Top the fig with a small sprinkle of cheese then add the bacon. The idea is to get layers of cheese in between the meat.
11. Finally close your broodjie up with the Sriracha mayo side and give it a gentle press to squish it together.
12. Now rinse and repeat with the rest of the broodjies.
13. Braai the broodjies very slowly in a flip grid over medium to low coals until the cheese is melted through. Be careful not to rush it or you will have un-melted cheese in the centre.
Serve the broodjies with your favourite brew and devour.
What’s your favourite broodjie combination?