The ultimate Christmas panettone trifle
600–800g Panettone, we used Panettone from Loison, cut into 1.5cm slices
100ml Frangelico or coffee
100g toasted hazelnuts
300g raspberries or cherries, plus a few extra for decoration
500g cream cheese
385g tin condensed milk
Juice of 2 lemons
220g (1 cup) icing sugar
1 vanilla pod, split lengthways and seeds scraped
1. Place half the slices of panettone in the base of a trifle dish or bowl. Press them into the shape of the dish with your fingertips. Sprinkle over a layer of berries and the toasted hazelnuts.
2. Now add a good drizzle of Frangelico or coffee, if you want a non alcoholic version.
3. Repeat with another layer of panettone, berries and nuts. Drench properly in remaining liqueur.
4. Allow to soak for 10–15 minutes.
5. Whisk together the mascarpone, cream cheese, condensed milk, lemon juice, cream, icing sugar and vanilla seeds. Spoon this mixture over the cake.
6. Cover with cling film, place in the fridge and allow to set for a couple of hours.
Top with fresh berries and nuts and serve. This delicious Christmas pudding is best made a few hours before serving, so that the cake is still fresh and tasty.
Now that’s what we call a trifle.
With thanks to Jules Mercer for her beautiful recipes and styling.