Summer salad: hot smoked trout, asparagus & peas
Ingredients (makes one large salad):
For the salad:
1kg baby potatoes, boiled and halved
2 bunches of asparagus, blanched
600g hot smoked trout, flaked (you can also use hot smoked salmon). Ask your fishmonger.
1 cup fresh broad beans or peas, blanched
1 lemon with rind finely grated and juiced
½ cup wholegrain mustard and honey dressing (see ingredients below)
1 handful of fresh dill, roughly chopped
Maldon salt and black pepper, to season
For the honey and mustard dressing:
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
100 ml extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice and zest
Maldon salt and black pepper, to taste
Making this salad isn’t rocket science; all you need to do is throw it together. But with ingredients like this, we couldn’t resist taking some snaps.
1. To make your dressing: place the egg yolk into a large bowl. Add mustard, garlic, honey and vinegar and whisk vigorously. Gradually whisk in the oil until emulsified. Whisk in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
2. Now for the salad: halve the potatoes – they should be firm.
3. Layer the crunchy asparagus.
4. Flake your hot smoked fish of choice.
5. Sprinkle the peas.
6. Zest and juice the lemon.
7. Drizzle the honey and mustard dressing.
Pair this salad with a gin and tonic sorbet et voilà you’ve got a zingy summer feast.