Strawberry and vanilla cupcakes
Ingredients (makes 12 cupcakes):
For the cupcakes
125g butter, softened
125g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
125g self-raising flour
2 Tbsp strawberry jam
2 Tbsp milk
For the icing
2 cups butter, room temperature
5 cups icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 Tbsp smooth strawberry jam
3 drops pink food colouring
1. To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 190ºC.
2. Beat together the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, flour, strawberry jam and milk to the bowl and beat until the mixture is smooth.
4. Divide the mixture between the paper cases and bake in the centre of the oven until the cakes have risen and are just firm to the touch in the centre, about 10 to 12 minutes.
5. Remove the cakes from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool. Once your cupcakes are cool, prepare your icing.
6. To make the icing, beat the butter on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes in the bowl of a stand mixer.
7. Turn the mixer down to low speed and gradually add the icing sugar until it is completely incorporated.
8. Remove half the icing and set aside. Add a tablespoon of boiling water to the icing and a teaspoon of vanilla essence in the mixer and mix until incorporated. Remove from bowl and set aside.
9. Add the first half of the icing mixture back into the mixer. Add the strawberry jam and colouring and mix until incorporated.
10. Keep the icing separate and fill the Split Compartment Icing bag by Cupcake Creations following the pack instructions.
11. Once your icing bag is prepared, pipe each cupcake with the delicious two-tone icing.
Isn’t that just the sweetest thing?
Head to our cupcake recipe round-up for a bunch more recipes that you can adapt, play with and make your own. Just imagine a red velvet cupcake with a cream cheese red swirl. Now you’re thinking out of the piping bag.
With thanks to Jenna May Viney for the recipe and styling.