Sticky and sweet ribs
Ingredients (serves 4):
1.5kg beef ribs
50ml soy sauce
For the marinade
2 cups Jack Daniel’s Sweet Smokey Barbeque Glaze or Clarks Bourbon BBQ Sauce
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp runny honey
2 Tbsp tomato sauce
2 Tbsp mustard
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Put the ribs in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add the soy sauce and gently bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes; take the pan off the heat and leave to cool for half an hour in the liquid.
2. Meanwhile, make the marinade by mixing all the ingredients together and give it a good stir until everything is incorporated. Simmer for a couple of minutes then pour into a bowl and leave to cool.
3. Take the ribs from the pot and, while still warm, brush all over with the marinade. Refrigerate the remaining marinade for later on. Pack the ribs in a large tray or dish and put in the fridge. Leave overnight if you can, otherwise 2–3 hours will be fine.
4. Get your braai ready. When the coals have died down but are still glowing, lay the ribs curved side down on the grill. Cook until coloured then turn, brush with more marinade and cook for 5 minutes. Turn, brush again and keep on cooking. They will take about 20–30 minutes to become sticky and deliciously burnished.
5. To cook in the oven put the ribs in one or two large roasting trays curved side up. Heat the oven to 200°C. Roast for 30–40 minutes, brushing with marinade a few times during the cooking time.
With thanks to Jenna May Viney for the recipe and styling.