Squash and ricotta flatbreads
Ingredients (makes 1 large flatbread):
250g (about 6) baby onions
½ a small butternut squash (or 2 gem squash with soft skins), sliced
Drizzle olive oil
4 Tbsp crème fraîche
½ tub (100g) ricotta cheese
1 large pizza base – you can buy this from a supermarket or local pizzeria or you can use pita breads.
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
2. For the onions, peel and cut in halves or quarters. Place on a baking tray with the sliced squash. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes to an hour until the onions have caramelised and the squash is cooked through.
4. Mix together the crème fraîche and ricotta and spread over the flatbread base. Top with the onions and squash.
5. Place in the oven for 15–20 minutes until golden.
Remove, allow to cool slightly before slicing and serve warm.
These flatbreads taste excpetional when served with a few sprigs of fresh basil. For more easy entertaining ideas, head this way.
With thanks to Jules Mercer for her beautiful recipes and styling.