Smoked trout salad with crème fraîche dressing
2 trout fillets
1 avocado, sliced
1 handful of caper berries
Baby lettuce leaves
1 lemon, sliced to drizzle
For the crème fraîche sauce:
Squeeze of lemon
Fresh dill, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1. First, prepare your smoker for the trout. Place foil on the bottom of the smoker, underneath the grid, with the smoking chips on top of it.
2. Place both whole raw trout fillets in the smoker, smoke for approximately 20 minutes until it has stopped creating smoke. Check the instructions on your smoker for further information.
3. Let the fish cool in the smoker. Once you have removed them, the skin should peel off easily and the flesh should shred easily with a fork.
4. To make the crème fraîche sauce, simply mix together all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Finally, combine all the salad ingredients in a large serving bowl, top with your flaked smoked trout and dressing, and enjoy.
We hope this tasty salad finds its way onto your summer table. You can also use your smoked trout and crème fraîche dressing for a delicious sandwich.
Recipe and styling by Rina-Marie van Velden.