How to make a pesto hollandaise
For the best consistency, prepare this sauce immediately before serving. We used the Morphy Richards Fusion Stick Blender Set but a food processor or a whisk and some elbow grease will also do the trick.
Ingredients (serves 6):
3 egg yolks
Pinch of salt – we used Wild Garlic Falksalt.
Pinch of freshly-ground black pepper
15ml fresh lemon juice
125g unsalted butter
40ml rocket pesto – or you can use whatever pesto you like.
Pinch of sugar to taste
1. Place the egg yolks, salt, pepper and lemon juice in the hand blender jar.
2. Cut the butter into pieces and heat in the microwave until melted, hot and foamy.
3. With the hand blender, blend the egg yolk mixture at top speed for 20 seconds.
4. Still blending at top speed, start pouring the hot melted butter into your yolk mixture in a thin, steady stream. By the time you’ve poured in two thirds of the butter, the sauce will be quite thick and creamy.
5. Add the rocket pesto and mix through with the blender.
6. Add sugar to taste.
7. If the sauce is not used immediately, set the blender jar in lukewarm water.
And there you have it. A classic sauce to put into your culinary arsenal.
With thanks to Sybil Doms for her lovely styling and beautiful recipes.