Pork chops with marmalade marinade
We recently invited Kamini Pather, 2013’s MasterChef South Africa winner, into our Yuppiechef Test Kitchen to cook some sweet and sticky pork chops. Pork chops make for a quick, yummy, weeknight meal and are also great for when you have guests over. Pair them with a fresh apple and celery salad and you’ve got a winning combo. Thank you, Kamini.
Our suggestion? Make double. You’ll definitely be coming back for seconds thanks to these sticky gems.
Ingredients (serves 6):
215g Belberry Mandarin Marmalade
2 Tbsp water
2 dried red chillies, finely sliced
6 pork chops, fat slit
Salt and pepper
2 red apples
4 stems celery, sliced on the diagonal
1 bag watercress
1 bag micro-greens
Juice of ½ lemon
1. In a sauce pan over a medium heat, melt the marmalade down with the water. Add the chilli flakes to this marmalade mixture and spoon onto seasoned pork chops.
2. Dry fry the chops in a hot, non-stick pan for about 5–7 minutes per side, until the meat has taken colour.
3. With a mandolin, slice the apple lengthways and drizzle with lemon juice. Then dice up the celery sticks.
4. Arrange the apples with the salad leaves and celery in a salad bowl.
5. Finally, drizzle with olive oil and then a little lemon juice and you’re all good to tuck in.
Chances are this tasty recipe will become a regular dinnertime staple in your household. Give it a go.