Perfect Butter Chicken and Rice with Cape Herb & Spice and the Instant Pot
Serves: 4 – 6 | Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 10 min
For the marinade:
- 800g chicken thighs, deboned
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Cape Herb & Spice Butter Chicken Spice
For the rice:
- 1 cup washed long grain basmati or jasmine rice
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp salt
For the butter chicken curry sauce:
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tbsp Cape Herb & Spice Butter Chicken Spice
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 400ml tomato puree
- 125ml fresh cream
- Toasted cashew nuts & fresh coriander to serve
- Prep the curry by combining the chicken pieces with all the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Mix well and let rest in the refrigerator for 30 – 60 minutes.
- Rinse the rice in a sieve under cold water until the water runs clear. Add the wet rice to the Instant Pot along with 1 cup of water. Select the Rice preset button once and cook for 12 minutes. Once finished, move Sealing Vent down to Manually Release the pressure. Fluff up and set rice aside until serving.
- Press the Sauté function on the Instant Pot and allow the stainless steel inner pot to warm up (about 1 minute). Add the butter, onion and Cape Herb & Spice Butter Chicken Spice, sauté for 4 mins. Add the marinated chicken and the tomato paste. Stir through until chicken is sealed. Finally add the tomato purée and mix.
- Secure the Instant Pot lid and move Sealing Vent up to closed position. Select the Poultry preset function and change time to 5 minutes. Once complete, allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally (about 5-10 minutes). When the valve drops, remove the lid, stir in the cream and mix well.
- Serve the butter chicken curry over the rice and top with toasted cashew nuts and fresh coriander.