Not a sad desk lunch: herby broccoli, beetroot and bulgur wheat salad
This healthy bulgur wheat salad is minty, fresh, crunchy and makes for a perfect lunchbox or an effortless salad to enjoy with friends.
Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 5 minutes | Serves 4
For the salad
1 cup/ 250 g bulgur wheat
200 g tender-stem broccoli
¼ cup seed mix (we used the Ultimate Seed Mix from Health Connection)
350 g beetroot, candy striped or regular, peeled (raw)
2 sticks celery
150 g breakfast radish, washed
20 g fresh dill, roughly chopped
20 g mint, stalks removed and leaves roughly chopped
50 g cos lettuce, washed and cut
2 avocados, stone removed and chopped
100 g plain feta
Salt and pepper for seasoning
For the dressing:
90 ml or 6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Zest and juice of 3 lemons
1 clove garlic, roasted if possible and crushed
1. Tip the bulgur wheat into a bowl, sprinkle with salt. Boil the kettle and pour 1 cup/250 ml over the bulgur wheat. Cover the bulgur bowl and allow to soak for 10 minutes. Drain any excess water and allow to cool.
2. Meanwhile, blanch the tender-stem broccoli in boiling water, uncovered, for 5–7 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
3. Toast the seeds in a small frying pan until they start to crackle.
4. Dice the beetroot, slice the celery and thinly slice the radish. Chop the herbs.
5. For the dressing, whisk the oil with the lemon juice and garlic. Season and set aside.
6. If serving immediately, fluff the bulgur and tip into a large bowl. Stir in the broccoli, beets, radish, celery, lettuce and avo. Crumble over the feta and swirl in the herbs. Pour over the dressing, sprinkle with seeds and enjoy.
Prepare the bulgur wheat in step 1 and chill in a container. Prepare steps 2–5 but keep each (the broccoli, seeds, chopped veg and herbs and dressing) separately.
Veggies in a container; dressing in a jar; seeds in a little jar. Whip it all together the night before or take elements to mix and match together at work.