Lemon meringue cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
100g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
1½ cups self-raising flour
½ cup milk
For the Meringue
3 egg whites
¾ cup caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place paper liners in a 12-cup muffin tin.
2. Use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar and lemon rind until pale and creamy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
4. Add the flour and milk, in alternate batches, and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
5. Spoon the mixture evenly among the lined pans (three quarters full) and smooth the surface.
6. Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
7. While your cupcakes are cooking, you can get cracking on the lemon curd recipe.
8. Once your cupcakes are nice and cool, use a cupcake corer to cut a piece out of the top of each cake.
9. Spoon the lemon curd evenly among cupcakes (there should be extra lemon curd for later enjoyment!).
10. To make the meringue, place egg whites in a clean, dry bowl. Use an electric mixer to whisk until firm peaks form.
11. Gradually add the sugar, beating well between each addition. Continue beating for 2-3 minutes or until sugar completely dissolves.
12. Pipe meringue on top of each cake enclosing the newly filled core.
13. Use a small kitchen blow torch to grill the meringue until lightly golden.
14. Alternatively, transfer cupcakes to an oven tray and place under a preheated grill until lightly golden.
Then all that’s left to do is serve up a spot of tea and gobble up your lemon meringue cupcakes, as fresh as if the golden goose of high tea treats laid them herself. Yum