Jamie’s 15 Minutes: falafel wraps, grilled veg & salsa
Jamie’s 15-Minute Meals is published by Michael Joseph, Penguin.
1 x 400g tin of mixed beans
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas
1 tbsp harissa
1 heaped tsp allspice
1 heaped tbsp plain flour
1 bunch of fresh coriander
2 mixed-colour peppers
4 spring onions
8 small wholewheat tortillas
1 tbsp chilli sauce (Lingham’s chilli sauce recommended)
250g low-fat cottage cheese
Optional: pickled red cabbage
1 big handful of mixed-colour ripe tomatoes
½–1 fresh red chilli
½ a clove of garlic
SERVES 4 | 602 CALORIES
Food processor (bowl blade)
Large frying pan, medium heat
Griddle pan, high heat
1. Drain the beans and chickpeas and put them into the processor.
2. Finely grate in the lemon zest, then add a pinch of salt and pepper, the harissa, allspice, flour and coriander stalks (reserving the leaves).
3. Blitz until smooth, scraping down the sides of the processor if needed.
4. Scrape out the mixture and use clean, wet hands to quickly divide and shape it into 8 patties about 1.5cm thick.
5. Put 1 tablespoon of oil into the frying pan and add the falafels, turning when golden and crisp.
6. Rip the seeds and stalks out of the peppers, tear each one into bite-sized chunks and put on the griddle pan with the trimmed and halved spring onions and a pinch of salt and pepper, turning when charred.
7. Put the tomatoes, chilli and half the coriander leaves into the processor.
8. Squash in the unpeeled garlic through a garlic crusher, squeeze in the lime juice, whiz until fine, then season to taste and pour into a serving dish.
9. Pop the tortillas into the microwave (800W) for 45 seconds while you marble the chilli sauce into the cottage cheese.
10. Squeeze the juice of half the zested lemon over the charred veggies, then take with the falafels to the table, scattering everything with the rest of the coriander.
11. Let everyone assemble their own wraps, and serve with pickled red cabbage, if you like.
images © David Loftus, 2012
recipes © Jamie Oliver 2012, www.jamieoliver.com