How to make a piñata cupcake
These are the perfect party cupcake and all you need to succeed at this recipe is a cupcake corer and an assortment of treats for fillings. For the filling we suggest hard candies like smarties, jelly tots, jelly babies, speckled eggs or any other little sweets that you enjoy.
Makes 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
125g caster sugar
125g self raising flour
5 drops NoMU vanilla extract
3 Tbsp of milk
For the icing:
500 g icing sugar
Food colouring of your choice
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C. Mix all the cupcake ingredients in a food processor until well combined and bake for 15–20 minutes or until the cupcakes have risen and are just firm to the touch in the centre.
2. Allow your cupcakes to cool completely. Push the cupcake corer down into the centre of the cupcake, twist and pull out the caky core. Then use the plunger to pop out the core. Do this with your full tray of cupcakes. Or maybe just do it to the one cupcake for the person who’s birthday it is. (If you’re coring all the cupcakes, keep the caky centres and use these to make cake pops the old fashioned way)
3. Next line up all your cupcakes and fill them with enough little sweets to fill the void made by the corer.
4. To make the icing, cream the butter with a mixer until soft. Gradually add the icing sugar in three parts until it is completely incorporated. Add a little warm water if the icing becomes too stiff.
5. If you would like to colour your icing, add a few drops of colouring now. To achieve a pretty coral colour similar to ours, use Wilton’s Creamy Peach with a touch of Orange or Rose food colouring. Have fun playing around with different colours, and remember a little goes a long way.
6. Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes to seal in all the sweets.
7. Add on your final decoration bits, sprinkles, glitter or whatever you have in the pantry, and serve the tray of piñata cupcakes to delighted and unsuspecting guests. Best eaten over a plate.
We hope these cupcakes bring colour and delight to your table and baking festivities.