How the SimmerMat works and why you’ll want one
Slow cooking not only tastes good, but it saves time too – all you need to do is prep ingredients and chuck them into a pot to do their thing. There are some ingenius inventions that make this process even easier and more energy efficient, allowing us to cook with all the wonder of a big appliance without having to invest in one to achieve the best results. One such smart invention is the SimmerMat. Here’s a quick overview of how it works and why you’ll want one.
What is the SimmerMat?
- Compact design: The SimmerMat is a small, thin hexagon shaped metal disc that sits on top of your cooking surface and acts as a heat diffuser
- Consistent heat: Its conductive surface creates a constant temperature for food to cook evenly over longer periods of time on a low heat setting
- Touch point: It works as a contact layer between your cooking surface and the pot on top of it, transferring and diffusing heat effectively
- Any surface, any time: The versatile SimmerMat can be used on just about any cooking surface, including induction, ceramic and gas cookers
How does the SimmerMat actually work?
1. Bring your food to temperature, remove the pot from the stove and turn down the heat.
2. Place the SimmerMat over the heat source.
- For gas, electric or solid fuel cookers, place the SimmerMat on to the surface with the dents facing up
- For glass, ceramic or induction cookers, place it on the surface with the dents facing down, which provides air space between plate and pot
3. Position the pot on top of the mat and put a lid on to retain moisture.
4. Leave to simmer on a low heat setting (don’t use it on high heat as it’ll get damaged) until tender and delicious.
Why would you use a SimmerMat?
- Perfect results, always: The SimmerMat is great for slow cooked casseroles, stews and soups, but also helps regulate the temperature for delicate tasks like melting chocolate, making toffee or caramel and preparing milk based desserts. It’s also a handy companion for cooking sauces, jams, chutney, pickles, relishes and the fluffiest of rice.
- Prevents burning: As it conducts heat evenly on a low setting, it lets you cook for longer periods of time without burning your food and preventing it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- No extra cleaning: Your meal is cooked in one pot from beginning to end – brown meat, add ingredients and let it cook without having to transfer anything between pots, pans and additional appliances.
- Space saving and portable: It is super space efficient and doesn’t take up counter or cupboard space, you can simply slip it in with your baking trays or stacked with a pile of plates. Because it’s so compact, it’s ideal for use while travelling and a good option for camping holidays
- Time and energy efficient: While on the SimmerMat, food doesn’t need constant monitoring as it won’t burn and, although it does require the cooking plate to be on, it works on a low heat setting so less energy is needed.
Keen to give it a go? You can buy the SimmerMat right here and enjoy the comforts of low and slow cooked food.