Heirloom recipes: Louise’s crunchies
At the Bailey house there is always a batch of freshly-baked crunchies in the cupboard. One of the constants in my life as a kid was that every day when I rode home from school I would be greeted by my mom with a cup of tea and a crunchie. Crunchies are actually exceptionally easy to make and unfailingly delicious.
2 Tbsp syrup
1 cup flour
1 cup coconut
2 cups oats
A generous pinch of salt
1 tsp bicarb
1 cup sugar
1. Melt the syrup and margarine together in the microwave for four minutes.
2. Mix your dry ingredients together.
3. Add the syrup mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Press into a well greased baking tray.
5. Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes until golden brown.
6. Cut while warm and soft and after a few minutes remove from the pan.
7. Cool on newspaper to remove excess oil and leave to harden.
And there we have it. Crunchies that taste like home. A big thanks to Lou and Mama Bailey.