Grilled aubergine and courgette salad
Ingredients (serves 4):
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 aubergines, trimmed and cut lengthways into 5mm slices
4 courgettes, topped, tailed and cut lengthways into 5mm slices
4 patty pans, topped, tailed and cut lengthways into 5mm slices
¼ cup olive oil
Small handful of mint, basil and coriander leaves, roughly torn
Small handful of rocket
For the dressing
1 tsp Thai fish sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
3 Tbsp soya sauce
Juice of 2 limes
1 small red chilli, halved, deseeded and finely sliced
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing and set aside.
2. In a small frying pan, dry-fry the sesame seeds over a medium heat, until lightly golden and fragrant. Tip into a small bowl and set aside.
3. Put the aubergines, patty pans and courgettes into a large bowl, drizzle over the olive oil and toss with your hands, until well coated.
4. Grill them in batches, over a hot fire, until golden and charred on the outside and soft in the middle. We used the Lotus Grill Portable Fan-Assisted Braai. If you don’t fancy lighting a fire, you can also use a griddle pan.
5. Tip the warm aubergines, patty pans and courgettes into a large bowl with the dressing, herbs, rocket and sesame seeds and toss everything until well combined to serve.
With thanks to Jenna May Viney for the recipe and styling.