Falooda milkshake with rosewater and chia
“This old recipe is my grans, she used to make it for weddings in our community. Funny story though, one of the first times we started fasting my brother and I got over excited at Iftar and overdid this milkshake, the ensuing tummy aches were not fun at all. A lesson in less is more during Iftar!” – Safeera Kaka
For the milkshake
1 can condensed milk
1 tin ideal milk
1 small tin nestle cream
¼ cup pink rose syrup
1 tsp finely ground cardamom
Optional extra for a special touch
½ litre of water
1 heaped tsp of agar-agar powder
1 tsp of pink food colouring
For the topping
1 Tbsp chia seeds
1 cup water
1. To make the milkshake base blend the milkshake ingredients with 2 litres of vanilla ice cream until frothy. Chill until ready to serve.
2. Next to make the falooda milkshake extra special set the half a litre of water to boil and quickly add the jelly powder and agar agar powder and food colouring.
3. Allow to set overnight. Grate and set aside.
4. To make the falooda milkshake topping, soak 1 tablespoon of chia seeds in 1 cup of water until swollen.
5. Add the grated jelly and chia seeds to the chilled milkshake mixture, top with an extra scoop of ice-cream and a drizzle of rose syrup.
Enjoy in moderation.
Special thanks to Safeera Kaka for sharing this recipe with us