Easy self-saucing chocolate mud cakes in your Le Creuset mugs
The stoneware is fired at very high temperatures, so it can withstand both microwave and oven cooking. It won’t scratch or rust, is easy to clean and if looked after properly, will last a lifetime.
Prep time: 10 min | Serves: 1 | Cooking Time: 2 mins (in a 800 watt microwave) Cooking times may vary according to the strength of your microwave.
these ingredients are for 1 mud cake – multiply per how many mugs you’d like to make
¼ cup (60 ml) cake flour
¼ cup (60 ml) castor sugar
3 Tbsp (45 ml) cocoa powder
½ tsp (2.5 ml) baking powder
Pinch of salt
¼ cup (60 ml) full fat milk
¼ cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
1 tsp (5 ml) Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Extract
¼ cup (60ml) NoMU Decadent Hot Chocolate Pieces (or any good quality dark chocolate chips)
¼ cup (60ml) boiling water
One row (about a finger’s length) good quality dark chocolate (any flavour of your choice)
To make these in the microwave:
1. Into the Le Creuset stoneware mug, sift the flour, castor sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir with a fork to combine.
2. Add the milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla and beat together until smooth. Be careful not to overbeat the mixture.
3. Lastly, add the boiling water. The batter will be a runny consistency.
4. Stir in the chocolate pieces and place the row of dark chocolate into the centre of the mixture.
5. Microwave for two minutes, then let the cake stand for another two minutes before digging in with
To make these in the oven:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Follow steps 2–4 as above.
3. Place into the oven on a baking tray (the cake will bubble over the sides of the mug) and bake for 15–20 minutes depending on how molten you would like the centre of the cake to be.
These days it’s difficult to find time to set aside to treat ourselves. This recipe solves that problem with a few simple ingredients and barely any cooking time at all. I used a nugget of dark chocolate for a molten centre but you can substitute it for your favourite hazelnut or peanut butter spread too.
Now take a deep breath, close your eyes and savour every bite of this decadent, double dark chocolate mug cake.