Ridiculously easy pumpkin fritters with butterscotch sauce
Makes: 4 fritters | Prep: 20 min | Cook: 20 min
For the fritters
250 ml (1 cup) cooked and pureed pumpkin
250 ml (1 cup) flour
10 ml (2 tsp) baking powder
5 ml (1 tsp) caster sugar
65 ml (¼ cup) milk
Pinch of salt
Oil for deep-frying
For the butterscotch sauce
100 ml golden syrup
80 g brown treacle sugar
50 g butter
100 ml cream
Ground cinnamon for dusting
To make the fritters
1. Heat a medium sized pot on the stove over a moderate heat.
2. Combine all the fritter ingredients together and mix well.
3. Fry a small amount to check if the oil is at the right temperature, (the oil is ready when the batter floats to the top and sizzles right away).
4. Fry spoonfuls of the batter for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
5. Remove with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on absorbent paper.
To make the butterscotch sauce
1. Melt the syrup, sugar and butter together in a saucepan until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Add the cream and simmer for 3-4 minutes until thickened.
3. Set aside to cool.
Drizzle the butterscotch sauce over warm pampoen poffertjies and dust with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Now if ever there was a good reason to sign up to our newsletters and stay ahead of the tasty recipe curve, this treat would be it.