Don’t mull this one over – make glühwein ice cream
Prep time: 25 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Serves: 4–6
1. Heat the milk, cream and honey in a saucepan.
2. Once the milk mixture has begun warming up, throw in the orange and lemon zest, cinnamon, cloves and star anise.
3. In a bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale.
4. As soon as the cream reaches ‘shivering’ stage (when the milky mixture starts moving quite rapidly but just before it starts breaking into bubbles), remove it from the heat.
5. Add a tablespoon of the milk mixture to the egg mixture and whisk this first. Then gradually start adding the rest of the heated milk and cream into the eggs and continue whisking. If you pour it all in, in one go, you may end up with scrambled eggs.
6. Place the mixture back on the stove and whisk it over a low heat until the custard is thick and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Again, be careful not to let it boil.
7. Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the custard through a sieve, into a glass bowl.
7. Place the bowl over another bowl filled with ice, to cool the custard. Make sure to stir it every minute or so to prevent a skin from forming.
8. Remove the cloves and star anise from the custard before blending in the wine with a hand mixer.
9. Place the mixture in an ice cream machine and churn it until it has set.
10. For a harder ice cream, pop the churned mixture in the fridge to set for about an hour before serving. Alternatively, serve it straight away for a soft serve.
If it’s a really hot day, your ice cream might only set to a soft consistency, so allow time to leave in fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Don’t fret if you don’t have an ice cream machine, all you need is a little patience and some elbow grease. Put your mixture in the freezer and give it a good taste… uh, we mean stir, every 30 mins until it has the consistency you’re looking for.
Maybe a bowl and spoon won’t cut it? Try a good waffle or pancake, they always save the day.
If Christmas were ice cream it would be glühwein ice cream and pulling off this dessert will make you famous.