Delicious beetroot and sweet potato veggie crisps
For the chips:
2 large sweet potatoes, well washed
4 large beetroots, scrubbed
+- 1.5 L Cooking oil for deep frying
For the homemade thyme salt:
30 ml Malden salt
1. Slice all the veggies thinly with a mandolin slicer.
2. Heat the oil in a large pot or deep fryer.
3. Fry the sweet potato slices in batches for +-5 minutes or until they start to curl up and become crispy.
4. Remove and place them onto paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
5. Repeat the process with the beetroot slices – they will take 6 to 8 minutes to crisp up.
6. To make the thyme salt, place 3 sprigs of thyme in a mortar and pestle and bash until pasty. Combine it with 30 ml Malden salt until you have green fragrant salt and sprinkle over the chips as they come out of the deep fryer.
Tuck into these as a snack, team them up with a tasty dip or make them your next star side dish. If you have any friends that are also ‘team veggie crisps’, then make sure you pass this recipe along.