Classic Niçoise salad
Ingredients (serves 4):
For the salad
12 baby potatoes
320g green beans, topped
2 tuna steaks (about 200g each) – you can also use two cans of tinned tuna if preferred.
16 baby tomatoes, halved
1 cup kalamata olives
For the dressing
1. Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 10 minutes or until just tender. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the potatoes to a chopping board and halve. Add the beans to the boiling water and cook for 2–3 minutes. Refresh under cold running water and drain.
2. Meanwhile, place the eggs in a saucepan of cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Drain and cool under cold running water. Peel and halve.
3. Whisk the oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, parsley and chilli together in a jug until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Heat a frying pan over medium–high heat. Fry the tuna for 2–3 minutes each side for medium rare. Transfer to a plate. Set aside for 5 minutes to rest and slice.
5. Divide the potato, beans, egg, tuna, tomatoes and olives evenly among serving bowls, or toss lightly together in a large salad bowl. Pour over the dressing. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
We hope you enjoy eating this Niçoise salad as much as we enjoyed making and photographing it. Aren’t the colours just wonderful? That’s the Med for you.
With thanks to Jenna Viney for her beautiful recipes and styling.