Christmas Cake Ice Cream Sandwiches
A fun and refreshing take on the classic Christmas cake — perfect for a summer celebration.
Prep: 1 hour | Cook: 20 min | Serves 6—8
- 200g dates, chopped
- 200g flour
- 4 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 150g butter, melted
- 4 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 260g brown sugar
- 4 jumbo eggs
- 100g roasted almonds, chopped
- 100g dried cranberries
For the filling:
- 750ml good quality vanilla ice cream, slightly thawed
- 240g fresh raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease two 27cm x 20cm Le Creuset non-stick rectangular baking sheets and line the bases with baking paper.
- In a food processor, blend the dates and flour until the dates are finely chopped.
- Melt butter and add the cocoa powder, mix until well combined.
- In an electric mixer, beat the eggs until thick, slowly adding the sugar.
- Add the spices, date flour mixture and cooled cocoa and beat to mix.
- Divide the mixture between the two baking sheets and spread evenly. Sprinkle over the almonds and cranberries.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Cool.
- Line the bottom of a Le Creuset 26cm Rectangular Dish with baking paper. Cut one of the layers of cake to fit in the bottom of the dish snugly, press in to secure.
- Mix the ice cream to soften, then spread over the cake. Sprinkle the raspberries over the ice cream. Top with another layer of Christmas cake. Press in to secure before freezing overnight.
- Slice with a hot knife to serve.
With thanks to Le Creuset for the recipe.