Homemade cheddar loaf with pancetta
Ingredients (makes 1 loaf):
500 g plain flour (you can also use Orgran Gluten Free Flour)
3 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Nuts and seeds of your choice (optional)
100 g grated cheddar cheese
Handful chopped spring onions and chives
60 g butter, melted
100 g pancetta, roughly chopped
400ml stout beer, we suggest using Fraser’s Folly Stout
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Line a baking tray with baking paper and grease the inside.
3. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add nuts and seeds at this point for a cheesy seed loaf.
4. Stir in ¾ of cheese, the chives and melted butter. Finally add in the pancetta.
5. Add stout beer to dry ingredients, stir quickly to form a soft, wet dough – be careful not to over mix.
6. Shape the dough into a round loaf on a baking tray.
7. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and place in the oven. Bake for 40–50 minutes until golden brown and cooked through (it will sound hollow when tapped).
Let the loaf cool a little and then serve warm with butter for a dangerously delicious result. Our mouths are watering just thinking about it.
This loaf tastes great on its own, as breakfast or served with soups or salads. Happy bread baking, folks.