Carrot and beetroot salad with hazelnut dressing
This salad’s hearty flavours pair well with a warming roast Sunday lunch, and just as well with a braai enjoyed under the scorching sun. Wherever you are, we hope you enjoy it.
Prep time: 15 min | Cooking time: 30 min | Serves 6–8 people
350 g baby beetroots
15 ml Jimmy Public Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and pepper
400 g baby carrots – rainbow carrots are great for the colour!
50 g butter
Sprigs of thyme
50 g chevin
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Wash the beetroot and place in a small roasting dish. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes.
3. While the beetroot is roasting, prepare the carrots. Wash the carrots thoroughly, especially the stalks, and set aside.
4. In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat and then add the carrots. Gently toss the carrots in the butter, turn the heat down to low and leave to cook. Stir the carrots every 2-3 minutes to avoid burning.
5. When the carrots are cooked, toss in the fresh thyme. Toss to combine and set aside to cool.
6. Once the beetroot is cooked and cooled slightly, rub off their skins with a clean cloth and cut into quarters.
7. To assemble the salad, place the carrots down on a platter, top with quarters of roasted beetroot and add torn pieces of creamy chevin.
8. For the dressing, combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and hazelnuts in a small bowl and drizzle over the salad. For extra colour, add microherbs and season with salt and pepper.