Blood orange mojito in the Zoku Slush
Blood oranges infuse the Zoku Slush with a bold, ruby red colour. They are slightly smaller than regular oranges and have a unique flavour with notes of tangy raspberry. If you are unable to find blood oranges, substitute with any oranges you can get your hands on.
Ingredients (serves 2):
25 mint leaves, torn
½ cup sugar
½ cup water
½ cup blood orange juice (approximtely 6 blood oranges, regular oranges can also be used)
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice (1 to 2 limes)
1 cup sparkling water
60ml (2 shots) rum, divided (optional)
1. Keep the inner core of your Zoku Slush and Milkshake Maker in the freezer. This recipe is for two Zoku Slush machines.
2. To make a mint sugar syrup, heat up the sugar, water and about 15 mint leaves in a small saucepan over a medium heat.
3. Allow the mixture to simmer for 3 minutes and remove from the heat.
4. Without removing the mint, chill the sugar syrup for at least an hour in the refrigerator.
5. Strain and discard the mint. Stir the sugar syrup together with the blood orange juice, lime juice, sparkling water and remaining mint leaves.
6. Remove the inner core of the Zoku Slush and Milkshake Maker from the freezer. Place it in the outer sleeve, divide your mixture into two and pour it in. Mix and scrape with the Zoku spoon and watch as the slush freezes before your eyes. When your mixture is slushy add one shot of rum (30 ml) into each Zoku Slush. The mixture will thin out somewhat so continue to stir until thick again.
Enjoy as is or pour into two lovely, tall glasses, pop in a ridiculously colourful, little umbrella, perhaps a fold out paper flamingo and enjoy the taste of summer you just effortlessly whipped up with your Zoku Slush. Life can be so grand.
Head this way to check out all the nifty new goodies from Zoku.