Beetroot, apple and feta salad with the Spiralfix
Ingredients (serves 6 as a side, 4 as a main):
For the salad
4 large beetroots
300g baby spinach leaves
200g feta or blue cheese
1 bunch mint, roughly chopped
½ packet dried strawberries
Handful pumpkins seeds
Handful raw almonds or raw cashews
3 juicy apples
Squeeze of lemon juice
For the dressing
1. Place a medium sized saucepan on the hob and half fill with water. Bring to the boil.
2. Peel the beetroot. Using the Spiralfix, spiral the beets anyway you desire (the setting for fine julienne works particularly well). Place the beetroot spirals into the boiling water and blanch for a minute. This step is only to soften the beetroot. If you prefer a raw salad, omit the blanching step.
3. In a jar, shake together the ingredients for the dressing.
4. Once the beetroot is cooked, drain and toss in the dressing whilst still hot.
5. To assemble, scatter the spinach on a large platter. Pour over dressing and beetroot, top with dried strawberries, nuts, seeds, cheese and mint.
Just before serving, place the apple in the Spiralfix and turn the setting to ‘endless spirals’. Spiral the apples, squeeze over some lemon juice to stop browning and place on top. Enjoy.