Beer, chilli & bacon caramelised nuts
Beer and nuts are a pairing as old as time. Our version of beer nuts takes this humble pairing to a whole new level with this moreish combination of chilli, bacon, sugar and lager (okay, yes the first time we made it we used the Darling Brew Festive lager – but the Woodstock Happy Pills is a great year round lager). Not only are these toasty, festive nuts easy to make, they can be made in advance and also last for a good few days. But once you start on them, you won’t be able to get enough. We warned you.
200 g mixed nuts
100 g roasted, salted cashews
100 ml of your favourite lager
½ cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp salted butter
1 tsp chilli flakes
½ tsp cayenne pepper
100 g streaky bacon
1. Set your oven to 200°C.
2. Fry your bacon on a medium heat until the fat renders out and it’s super crispy. Allow the bacon to cool on some kitchen towel, then finely chop it.
3. In a large saucepan, over a medium-high heat, combine the beer and sugar until the sugar has melted.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil and allow to cook for 3 minutes without stirring it.
5. Take it off the heat and stir in the butter, chilli, cayenne and bacon bits.
6. Toss the nuts into the mix and stir until they are well coated.
7. Spread the nuts out onto a foil-lined baking tray (some non-stick spray helps here).
8. Bake for 5 minutes, then remove and stir the nuts around.
9. Bake for a further 5 minutes and keep a close eye on them to ensure that they get that deep copper caramelisation.
Let them cool, break them apart, and enjoy!
Feeling inspired to try this recipe? Why not sign up here for our newsletter, to see the latest beers you can order to accompany your beer nuts.