Minichefs: baked egg baskets and mixed berry parfait
Time taken – 1 hour
Chefs – two children aged 3 and 5 years
Mixed Berry Parfait | Makes 4
1 litre yoghurt
400g frozen berries
1Tbs castor sugar
1 cup muesli
Honey to drizzle
1. Defrost and set aside 1/4 of the berries. Lightly mash 3/4 of the berries, adding 1 Tbs castor sugar
2. Layer the berries, yoghurt, and muesli in a tall glass
3. Top with the whole berries and drizzle with honey
Baked egg baskets | Makes 6
Giant muffin pan
Bowl and whisk/fork
6 slices square bread – crusts removed
4 large eggs
1/2 tsp garlic and herb seasoning
6 Tbs crumbled smoked chicken
3 Tbs melted butter
6 Tbs grated cheese
Cream cheese, baby tomatoes, basil as garnish
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees C and grease the muffin cups.
2. Use a rolling pin to flatten the bread. Brush melted butter over both sides of the bread and place into the muffin cups then place the bread cups in the oven for 4 minutes or until toasted.
3. Crack the eggs into a bowl (pictured here is the Fusionbrands crackpot egg cracking bowl). Add the milk and seasoning and mix.
4. Thinly slice, then break up the smoked chicken into the bottom of each toasted bread basket. Divide the egg mix between the 6 toast baskets and sprinkle over the grated cheese.
5. Place in the middle shelf of the oven and bake until the egg is cooked, about 12 minutes. Send the kids off to look for herbs and flowers in the garden.
6. Serve with chopped tomato, basil and cream cheese.
It is safe to say this will make a mom extremely happy!