Easy maple syrup and bacon cupcakes
For the cupcakes
2 cups cake flour
1 box instant vanilla pudding mix
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
½ tsp salt
125g butter, at room temperature
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs, at room temperature
¼ cup maple syrup
¾ cup full cream milk
½ cup chopped cooked bacon
For the frosting
500g cream cheese, at room temperature
2 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
¼ cup maple syrup
2 tsp cinnamon
3 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place paper liners in a 12 cup muffin tin.
2. Prepare the cupcakes. Combine the flour, pudding mix, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl with a whisk.
3. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugars with a mixer on low speed until combined for about 6 to 8 minutes. Gradually mix in the vanilla and eggs. Scrape down the sides of the bowl; continue mixing until light and fluffy. Add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the maple syrup and milk, folding in after each addition and ending with flour.
5. Mix until the ingredients are just combined (don’t over mix) and then gently fold in the bacon.
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about three-quarters of the way. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool completely.
Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. Beat the cream cheese and butter with a mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon; beat until combined. Pipe onto the cooled cupcakes and top with chopped bacon and an extra drizzle of maple syrup.
Sometimes it’s the strangest combinations that make people turn their heads. You’re going to want to try these.