Pretty amazing apple strudel muffins
Ingredients (makes 12 large or 24 small muffins):
For the muffins:
2 small to medium sized apples, peeled, cored and diced
Juice of 1 lemon
140g brown sugar
3 large eggs
125g butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
80g pecan nuts, roughly chopped
For the topping:
60g brown sugar (dark brown works best)
20g pecans, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 12 or 24 hole muffin pan, or line with muffin cases. We used circles of baking paper for a vintage effect.
2. Place the diced apples in a bowl and squeeze over lemon juice. Add the sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla and beat until combined. (Make this a quick action so the butter doesn’t harden once it cools down.)
3. Sieve together the flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon and salt. Stir in nuts. Add the apple mixture to the flour and mix a few times to combine, don’t overmix.
4. To prepare the topping, rub together the butter and brown sugar in a small bowl. Do this until the butter and sugar are nicely integrated. Add flour and nuts and rub again to form a rough mixture that resembles fine rubble.
5. Spoon the muffin mixture into the cases. Divide topping between muffins, pressing down to stick the mixtures together.
6. Place in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes until a skewer comes out clean and the muffins have risen and are golden brown.
Serve warm with lashings of butter for ultimate deliciousness.