This one-of-a-kind, handcrafted gin is made using nectar harvested from Suikerbossie flowers that are gently squeezed, without damaging them, to release the sweet liquid also known as "bossiestroop". Made by New Harbour Distillery in small quatities with 13 individual botanical blends using a custom glass vacuum distillation column, it's a truly superior and uniquely South African gin.
- Handcrafted gin made using the nectar of Suikerbossie flowers
- 13 botanicals are macerated seperately, then individually distilled using a custom 10L glass vacuum distillation column
- The 13 individual botanical blends are diluted with reverse osmosis water and blended back together to form the one-of-a-kind Bossiestroop gin
- A fragrant nose with fresh hints of juniper, coriander and pear, floral sweetness associated with a delicate finish of clean citrus notes from lemon, orange and grapefruit
- Sweet and silky smooth juniper bursts into soft citrus and well-balanced spicy flavours of nutmeg, cassia bark and grains of paradise
The Cape was founded by Jan van Riebeeck on the 6th of April 1652 as a halfway house and supply station for the Dutch East India Company during the height of the spice race. Because no sugarcane was grown in the Cape the Khoikhoi taught the Dutch how to harvest or milk the Suikerbossie protea (known as Sugarbush) for its "honey nectar".
This nectar was then boiled into a syrup called "bossiestroop" that was used as a sweetener in food or drink and even used as cough medicine or sugar alternative for diabetics. There was even a folk song written that was written that was sung during the harvesting of the nectar and recognised today as "Suikerbos ek wil jou hê".
- Volume: 500ml
- ABV: 46%