Shopping on Yuppiechef is safe and secure
View on mobile
Scan the QR code to open this page on your mobile phone.
- Item Condition: New
- 30 Day Exchanges
- Returns & Repairs Policy
- How long will it take to arrive?
- What precautions are you taking for COVID-19?
- Can I send it as a gift?
Notify me when this item is available
Since the days of Simon van der Stel, the land at L'Avenir has been planted with vines. In 1992, Mauritian born Marc Wiehe bought the farm and founded L'Avenir and by 1997, the farm was ranked best at that year's Chenin Blanc Challenge. Paying tribute to the terroir of Stellenbosch, L'Avenir focuses primarily on producing the heritage Chenin Blanc and the innovative, local varietal, Pinotage.
- Vineyard region: 13.55 ha of Pinotage is planted with the oldest vineyard established in 1985, to the most recent planting in 2015. 100% are trellised vines. Supplementary irrigation is applied during the warmer summer months when the soil water table may become parched. There are blocks of Pinotage situated on various aspects of a large hill that comprises L’Avenir, allowing certain blocks to be isolated for specific vinification styles and premium wines. The Indian Ocean is less than 20km away, and gentle afternoon sea-breezes drift over the farm and exert a cooling influence against the late afternoon Cape sun
- Vintage: warm weather led to fast ripening and an early harvest. Grapes were very healthy for the fact that we didn’t receive any rain at the start of harvest. Maximum hang time was given to help with the development of aromas and phenolic ripeness
- Grape varieties: 100% Pinotage
- Tasting: after an impressive introduction of dark berries, this rich red wine unravels with layers of floral notes, vanilla and tempting toffee. Its beautiful balance of flavours and velvety texture depart with a lasting impression of depth and elegance
- Appearance: brilliant dark maroon
- Nose: a luscious and lively nose of dark mulberries, juicy blueberries and hints of sweet vanilla, toffee and flower garden
- Palate: a medium to full bodied and fruit-driven palate with soft and velvety tannins that deliver a long luxurious finish
- Alc/Vol: 14%
- Acidity: (Tartaric) 5.7 g/L
- Residual sugar: 3.5 g/L
- pH: 3.53
- Vintage: 2017
Customer Reviews & Ratings
Here's your chance to write the first review for this product.