Since the days of Simon van der Stel, the land at L'Avenir has been planted with vines. In 1992, Mauritian born Marc Wiehe bought the farm and founded L'Avenir and by 1997, the farm was ranked best at that year's Chenin Blanc Challenge. Paying tribute to the terroir of Stellenbosch, L'Avenir focuses primarily on producing the heritage Chenin Blanc and the innovative, local varietal, Pinotage.
- Vineyard region: parcel selection within the vineyard block was performed to harvest these grapes at optimum maturity for the vinification of the L’Avenir Brut base wine. Harvesting earlier and by hand led to higher acidity and elegant flavours The Indian Ocean is less than 20km away, and gentle afternoon sea breezes drift over the farm to exert a cooling influence against the late afternoon Cape sun
- Vintage: very gentle vintage led to beautiful crisp acidity and clean floral flavours with a dry finish
- Grape varieties: 31% Chardonnay, 29% Gamay noir, 22% Pinotage, 18% Pinot noir
- Tasting: L’Avenir Brut offers a sensory extravaganza. Exceptionally clean, it fills the entire mouth with rich flavours of white pear, citrus and flower notes; all accompanied by an authentic crispness and the delicate titillation of tiny bubbles to leaves a lingering impression of attractive drinkability.
- Appearance: pale light straw colour
- Nose: lots of citrus aroma, white pear and flower notes
- Palate: a smooth and refreshing taste that lingers in your mouth, accompanied by tiny bubbles
- Alc/Vol: 11.5%
- Acidity: (Tartaric) 6.6g/L
- pH: 3.27
- Residual sugar: 9.2g/L
- Vintage: 2012