Learn how to make — Sous Vide Duck Ramen in the Instant Pot Duo Plus
This exquisite dish requires a bit of planning and preparation, but you are rewarded with a 5 star journey through umami flavours, contrasting textures and a visual piece of art.
Serves 2 | Prep time: 30 min | Cook time: 90 min
- 2 free range duck breasts
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 XL free-range eggs
- 750ml (3 cups) chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, whole but crushed
- 2 large thumb size pieces of ginger, crushed (±80g)
- 10g dried shiitake mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp white miso paste
- 8 spring onions, sliced in half
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 portions ramen noodles (±200g each)
- 100g fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- Black sesame seeds and fresh spring onions, for garnish
- Add duck, soy sauce, mirin, spring onions and shiitake mushrooms into a vacuum seal bag (or a ziplock bag), remove air and seal. Marinate for one hour.
- Fill the Instant Pot inner pot with water up to the halfway mark. Select Sous Vide on the Instant Pot Duo Plus 9-in-1 Smart Cooker at 54˚C for 1 hour.
- When the water is up to temperature, submerge the duck in the bag into the water bath.
- Once cooked, remove duck from bag and pat with paper towel until completely dry.
- Dry out the inner pot and set Sauté mode to High. Once the display reads Hot, add the duck skin side down while the inner pot heats up. Sear the duck until the skin is deeply golden brown and crisp. Remove and set aside for serving.
- Pour 250ml water into the inner pot and insert the trivet. Place eggs onto the trivet and select the Egg setting. Set cooker to 4 minutes for a nice jammy yolk. Quick Release and then transfer eggs immediately into an ice bath. Once cool, peel and set aside for serving.
- For the broth, combine chicken stock, garlic, ginger, shiitake mushrooms, miso paste, spring onions and chilli flakes. Stir until miso paste is dissolved. Pressure cook on High for 5 minutes and then Quick Release. Using a slotted spoon remove all the aromatics.
- Set pot to Sauté mode on High. Bring broth to a simmer and add noodles and shiitake mushrooms. Cook for about 3 minutes until mushrooms are tender and noodles are heated through.
- Assemble ramen bowls with the broth, mushrooms and noodles as the base. Slice duck breasts and arrange on top of the noodles. Slice eggs and arrange next to duck. Finish eggs with a little salt and black sesame seeds. Scatter the bowls with spring onions and serve.