Tiramisu ice cream cake
You will need an ice cream machine and a loaf pan. We used a MagiMix Le Glacier Turbine Ice Cream Maker for this recipe, so if you use a different machine remember your times may vary.
Ingredients for the ice cream:
The seeds from one vanilla pod
4 egg yolks
100g caster sugar
150ml crème fraiche
Method for making the ice cream:
1. Pour the milk into a double boiler, add the vanilla seeds and bring gently to the boil.
TIP: Using vanilla seeds creates an intense flavour. However, you can substitute these seeds with 10ml vanilla essence but take care to only add this with the crème fraiche once the custard has cooled.
2. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl, then pour the hot milk over this mixture, continuing to whisk.
3. Return to the double boiler and heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture starts to coat the back of the spoon. Do not allow the mixture to boil as it will curdle.
4. Remove from the heat and leave to cool, then stir in the crème fraiche.
5. Place in the ice cream maker for 30 minutes.
With the MagiMix Le Glacier Turbine machine, you can freeze your first batch whilst making another.
TIP: if you are feeling a little lazy, bung 900ml of good quality store-bought vanilla custard into the ice cream maker for 30 minutes.
Ingredients for the Tiramisu ice cream cake:
2 batches vanilla ice cream
12 savoiardi (boudoir) biscuits
1 cup espresso coffee
50ml coffee liqueur
Cocoa powder to dust
Method for making the cake:
1. Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap. Spoon 1/3 of the ice cream into this and smooth down with a spatula.
2. Combine the coffee and coffee liqueur, then dip 6 biscuits into this and layer them on top of the ice cream.
3. Add another 1/3 of your ice cream, smooth it down and repeat with the remaining biscuits.
4. Finally add the last 1/3 of the ice cream. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for at least 2 hours to allow the flavours to develop and the ice cream cake to set.
5. Remove from the freezer, loosen the sides with a hot knife, then turn out onto your serving plate. Dust with cocoa powder and garnish with fruit or berries of your choice. Serve with a strong shot of espresso.
And there you have it. A decadent dessert to make your friends say che è sorprendente (wow, that is amazing).