Red wine poached pears
Ingredients – serves 6
1 bottle red wine
300g caster sugar
2 cinnamon sticks, halved
2 Tbsp whole cardamon
2 Tbsp whole star anise
Zest of 1 orange
1. Peel your pears but keep them whole and with the stalk intact. To prevent them from browning, once peeled, place them in a bowl of cold water with a squeeze of lemon and some lemon rind.
2. Put the pears into a large saucepan with the wine, sugar, cinnamon, star anise, cardamon and orange zest.
3. Make sure the pears are covered in wine so that they cook through evenly. Poach for approximately 30 minutes. The cooking time will depend on the ripeness of your pears – they should be tender all the way through when pierced with a cocktail stick.
TIP: Whilst poaching, cover the pears with baking paper. This will ensure that your pears cook evenly.
4. Remove the pears from the pan, then boil the liquid to reduce it by half so that it’s syrupy. You can then put your pears back into the syrup.
5. Serve each pear with the syrup, a piece of cinnamon and star anise.
Sound good? Download print-friendly recipe.
And for more winter recipe inspiration, you might like to give these a whirl: