Perfect steak with crispy potato wedges and mushroom sauce
For the mushroom sauce:
1 Tbsp (15g) butter
2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
½ onion, finely chopped
2 packets (500g) mixed exotic mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups (500ml) cream
Salt and milled pepper
For the crispy potato wedges:
3 cups (750ml) sunflower oil, for frying
Sea salt flakes for seasoning
For the steak:
2 Tbsp (30g) butter
2-4, 300g Rib eye steaks
Salt and milled pepper
1 packet asparagus spears, washed and cooked
1 Tbsp (15ml) sprigs of fresh Thyme for garnish
1. First, make the mushroom sauce. Melt butter and oil in a saucepan and fry onions over a low heat until soft. Slice mushrooms, add to saucepan and cook until beginning to soften.
2. Increase heat, stir in chopped garlic and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Add cream and bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 5-10 minutes until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat, season with salt and milled pepper and set aside.
3. Now to prepare the potato wedges. Peel potatoes and slice into wedges, keep them in a bowl of cold water to prevent them from dis-colouring. Preheat oil for deep frying in a deep saucepan, over a medium heat.
4. And for the steak. Season your meat with salt and milled pepper. Melt butter in a non stick pan, fry steaks, fat/skin side down over a medium heat until fat is golden and rendered down. Then fry steaks for 2-5 minutes or until done to your liking, set aside to rest. Check out these tips on how to cook the perfect steak.
5. While your steak is resting, pat potatoes dry with some paper towel and deep fry wedges in batches until golden brown and crisp, drain on paper towel, season with salt.
Tip | To make extraordinary wedges, the potatoes should be twice fried. First ’blanche’ fry potatoes at a lower temperature (160°C. ) until just softened, then drain from oil and allow to cool. Then heat oil to 190°C. and re-fry wedges until golden and crispy, season and serve immediately.
Tip | To add a flavour punch to your crispy potato wedges, grind up 1 Tbsp of rosemary leaves with 2 Tbsp coarse sea salt in a pestle and mortar until a fine green salt is made, sprinkle over wedges.
6. Warm mushroom sauce and pour into a serving jug.
Serve steaks on a wooden board, with crispy potato wedges, warm mushroom sauce, a scattering of thyme leaves and asparagus spears. For more tips on cooking the perfect steak, check these out.