Minichefs: traffic light juice & lollies
6 apples (mix of Granny Smith and Starking)
1 large lemon
1 medium carrot
2 Rooibos tea bags
1. Boil a kettle and make 250ml of rooibos tea. Allow it to cool.
2. Chop up all ingredients into sizes to fit your juicer funnel.
3. Green light | Juice 2 of the apples, add the spinach and decant into a glass.
4. Orange light | Juice the carrots with 1½ apples and decant into a new glass.
5. Red light | Juice the beetroot with 1½ chopped apples and decant into a glass
6. Pour a small amount of each colour into a glass and and top up with cooled rooibos tea. A glass of plain juice contains a lot more fruit than we need to eat so diluting with rooibos, herbal tea, soda water or plain water is a good idea.
7. Chill in the fridge and serve with ice and a sprig of mint. For introducing vegetable juice, serving it ice-cold works a treat. The vegetable flavours will be less obvious and hey, kids like things that clink.
If you have a Zoku Quick Pop Maker, layer the three juices and make a trafflic light lolly. Getting kids to consume veggies doesn’t get easier than ice lollies.