Jobs at Yuppiechef
We're hiring. Perhaps we're looking for you? Click on the job titles below to view positions currently open. No prizes for knowing that we're looking for particularly special people - brilliant at what they do, always happy to pitch in and help, have a laugh and work hard (while not taking themselves too seriously).
If you (or someone you know) fit the bill we'd love to hear from you via the form below. If nothing sounds quite right, sign up to our Jobs Alert Mailer and follow us on LinkedIn to find out first about new openings.
P.S. If you recommend a friend who later joins our team, you'll get a little finders keepers treat from us so keep an ear to the ground and stay sassy.
If Yuppiechef were a person, could it be you? We’re on the look out for a bright and remarkable person to be the Yuppiechef Community Manager. Our community is more precious to us than diamonds and you’ll need to be prepared to spend time and effort to make them smile.
Does this sound like you?
- A word magician (you love things like alliteration and puns)
- Fascinated by what makes people tick (perhaps you studied Psych?)
- A collector of information and things, like a little sponge soaking up the world
- You're not vanilla; you’re the good kind of weird
- Proudly South African but immersed in popular culture
- A perfectionist
- When you discover something wonderful you simply have to share it
- Early adopter but lover of tradition and history
- You get emotional about the triumph of the human spirit
- You’re a bit of a clown (and love making people laugh)
- Your idea of a good time is a brilliant conversation
- You're well read, well travelled and great at 30 Seconds
- You spend a lot of time imagining
- You love food and everything that brings people around a table
- Multi-tasking (monitoring our social media from 8-5pm is only one thing you’ll do) Personable (in real life, but especially through your writing)
- Able to switch easily between big picture and nitty gritty
- Able to read people and empathise
- Quick off the mark but never rash
- Able to seize opportunities and engage in banter
- Driven by quality of engagement not vanity metrics
Preferred Qualifications & Experience:
- Obsession with building brand affection
- Minimum of 2 years experience in social media
- Relevant studies
- Experience with Google Analytics, Hootsuite (or similar), etc. a plus
- Embody our brand online (you’ll be our brand voice)
- Daily monitoring, responding and posting on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Google+ (this isn’t a weekday only, 8-5pm kind of job)
- Detailed content plan for all channels completed in advance
- Monthly competitions
- Conceptualise and run community campaigns
- Strategic use of social media to meet objectives across the business
- Be a social media thought leader (keep us cutting edge)
- Manage annual budget
- Put our internal newsletter together and have fun capturing the magic
Sound like something you’d want to be a part of? Well then. Apply now.Apply now Refer a friend
As we continue to grow in the online space both internationally and within South Africa, we are now taking a leap into the world of physical retail. Yes, Yuppiechef will soon have a physical store where you will be able to feast your eyes on some of our latest and greatest products.
We are looking for an enthusiastic foodie who has great people skills and has a broad knowledge of all things food and kitchen. Someone’s cake flopped for their little girl's first birthday? No problem! You know how to help and you know just the tools and ingredients that will make for the perfect birthday cake memory. Not only do you need to have a passion for cooking and baking, but a passion for serving any walk in customers in the friendliest and most helpful manner.
You’ll be our front of house person, meeting, greeting and assisting customers with whatever they require as well as offering valuable information on how they can become the ultimate foodie themselves. A background in hospitality or chef school would be advantageous.
If you are a bright spark and full of positive energy we would love to hear from you!Apply now Refer a friend
Stocking the world's best kitchen and home goodies is our game and as our catalogue grows, so does the team managing it. We are looking for a someone with a keen eye and passion for buying to come and join our product team. The right candidate will be highly productive, obsessed with finding the perfect products and brilliant at supplier relationships.
Our product range is lovingly and expertly curated by our team who take pride in making sure our customers have not only the best selection of products to choose from, but that our suppliers can also supply them to the standards we expect. It is somewhat of a fine balancing act. You would work closely with our existing team of buyers to make sure that Yuppiechef stocks the perfect mix of products across all of our categories.
Your responsibilities would include:
- Identifying gaps and opportunities in our product catalogue
- Sourcing new products from both existing and new suppliers
- Prioritising new product additions in terms of their impact on the business
- Maintaining supplier relationships and communication
- Negotiating trading terms
- Negotiating promotions
- Working alongside the catalogue administrators, copywriters and stock controllers to ensure that all new products are added to our system promptly and efficiently
Who you are and relevant experience:
- Minimum 3- 5 years previous experience within a Buying team would clearly be advantageous and knowledge of online retail environment would be even better
- You need to be numerically proficient and analytical
- You have to be tech savvy
- Strong administrative skills and a keen attention to detail
- A tertiary education in a relevant field
- You are able to stay calm under pressure and love to multi-task
- You have a genuine passion for working in a collaborative and forward thinking space
- You are inspired by understanding the effect of your role on achievement of the teams and companies goals
Think you fit the bill? Apply now and we could be having a chat soon.Apply now Refer a friend
At Yuppiechef, the images our customers see on our site are the windows to our souls. We go to great lengths to ensure that our customers are inspired and informed by just the quickest of glances at our products.
We are looking for a talented photographer to join our Product and Content Marketing team. The right person will have a passion for both product and lifestyle photography and will be determined to get the best shot possible of a cocotte or cup or a slow-roasted pork belly all within the deadline restrictions of a busy e-commerce platform.
Your main focus will be product photography and bringing awesome tools to life through the lens, helping customers when choosing what to buy (the photo should sell the tool without any accompanying copy). You will be able to see the potential in a simple product, strive to take the shots required in studio to merchandise the product to its full potential and be prepared to style each shot with lifestyle elements. You will also be keen to dive into video, from short, 10 second clips to longer, more experimental films.
You will find joy in working closely with food stylists shooting lifestyle images in our Test Kitchen or on location. All in the name of inspiring people to get into the kitchen and cook and eat together.
We would also love to see your camera on your hip as you walk through Yuppiechef, ready, willing and able to take a shot to capture the moment. Whether this be a simple crumpet tea with the team or any of our big yearly team events.
You will not be disheartened when it comes to deep-etching, be open to collaboration and short lead times, and should love to keep your images organised and easy for the team to access.
The requirements of the role include:
- Intimate knowledge of Photoshop (accurate deep-etching and re-touching)
- A passion for studio photography with flash light and video light know-how
- Ability to organise the studio workload so as to meet required deadlines and maintain efficiency. Product planning and prepping ahead of schedule is hugely important
- Driven to keep your images organised, named, filed and uploaded onto the site
- Good grasp of Lightroom and Final Cut Pro
- Excellent communication and the ability to work well with many teams within the business
- An interest in visual merchandising and online consumer buyer behaviour
- A love for all aspects of photography and a desire to learn, quickly
If this sounds like you, and you can’t wait to get into our warehouse to shoot some beautiful products, send us your CV and link to your portfolio and we may be chatting soon.Apply now Refer a friend
At Yuppiechef we obsess about customer service so it needs to be in your blood if you're applying for this role. We are looking for someone to join our current team and to help ensure that each and every customer who deals with Yuppiechef has an exceptional experience. Our current customer service team members manage online support, handle telephone enquiries, manage returns and repairs, liaise with suppliers and our courier partners, and go to extraordinary lengths to help customers with their daily queries about products, orders, deliveries and our business in general. Most famously, they lend a hand in writing our personalised cards that are sent out with each order.
We are looking for an upbeat and friendly team member who can easily find a balance between what is best business practice while keeping the customer happy at the same time. These are some of the things we are looking for in an ideal candidate:
- 1-2 years experience in a service orientated position (mandatory)
- Strategic thinker and systems focused
- Logical and consistent in their approach to problems and dilemmas
- Forward thinking and takes initiative
- Continuously pushing the boundaries to improve systems and processes
- Assertive and confident in their own decisions - this includes taking on difficult customers, but being professional about it at all times
- Needs to be able to work independently with little supervision but still have a team spirit - you need to be willing to jump in and assist others when needed
- Constantly sets personal goals and strives to achieve them timeously
- Desire and ability to acquire knowledge quickly
- Attention to detail
- Thrives in a high pressure environment
- Previous experience in a customer service orientated role is a bonus
- Knowledge of other South African or European languages (French or Portuguese) will score you extra brownie points
If being a part of one of the best customer service teams in the world excites you and if semi-regular tea and cake sounds good, we’d like to hear from you. Apply for the job and tell us why you think you fit the bill.
Bye for now.Apply now Refer a friend
We’re growing pretty quickly and we need our team of amazing developers to get, well, even more amazing. If you know Java / Clojure and PHP (or enough other languages that a new one will be walk in the park for you), if you like to work fast and hard and you appreciate a good work environment, you might be the person for this job.
Our development team needs to span everything from front-end website and mobile commerce, right through to warehouse management systems, running on Android devices, and all the messaging and server components in between. There is fairly unlimited scope to learn and grow across the whole development landscape in our rapidly expanding development environment.
Aside from the opportunity to work on the cutting edge of e-commerce, we can offer you great coffee, the odd free lunch and a hard-working and aspiring team of designers, developers, content creators, and other brilliant souls as teammates. If this sounds like the kind of environment you’d like to be in, give us a buzz.
Send us your CV and tell us why your unique experiences make you the perfect person for this role.Apply now Refer a friend
If you’re a talented and passionate developer with a hunger to learn new things and be involved in projects from conception to delivery, Yuppiechef may well be the perfect place for you.
We are one of South Africa's leading e-commerce companies, based in Westlake Business Park, with a team of 75 fun and high-capacity people. More importantly, we are building and developing some surprisingly interesting tech processes and have room for a select few to join our team. If your pulse quickens at the thought of cutting edge coding that truly impacts business, then we have something in common.
Our specialist development team works across a variety of projects, including work on our own warehouse management systems built on Android tablets and bluetooth scanners, powerful back-end servers running on Java and Clojure, front-end design and development using PHP and HTML5 and ultimately Rabbit messaging to glue it all together. Our online ecosystem is constantly evolving and we keep ourselves agile in order to adapt and grow with it. Exciting? We think so.
If this sounds good to you, apply to join us and tell us why you think Yuppiechef is the place to be. Bye for now.Apply now Refer a friend
Job application form
Tell us a bit about yourself, let us know which job from the ones listed above you're interested in and upload your CV where the form asks for 'attachments' so we can have a squizz.
If you'd like to get an alert when we're next recruiting, sign up to our jobs emailer here.